This module covers the basic concepts of light and lighting. It is highly recommended that all trainees take this course.
- What is light?
- Properties of light
- Wave nature of light
- Particle nature of light
- Spectral sensitivity of the human eye
- Types of vision
This module would give you an insight into the structure and functioning of the human eye and how our eyes interact with light.
- The Human eye
- The visual process
- Visual functions
- Visual acuity
- Optical illusion
This module is about how we measure light, the terminologies and units used in measuring light and measuring instruments.
- Luminous flux and luminous efficacy
- Basic lighting quantities
- Inverse square law
- Cosine law
- Measuring techniques and instruments
- This module is aimed at delivering the concepts behind defining colours in quantitative terms.
- Types of colour mixing
- CIE system and CIE chart
- CIE chart: what is it used for?
- Correlated Colour Temperature (CCT) and Colour Rendering Index (CRI)
- Contrast detection and Metamerism.
- This module is about the quality aspects of lighting.
- Principle lighting criteria
- Luminance distribution
- spatial distribution of light
- Methods of light distribution
- Lighting efficacy and efficiency
This module is a discussion of the environmental issues due to artificial lighting.
- CO2 emission
- Unsustainable product design/development
- Disposal of end-of-life lighting equipment